Monday, March 15, 2021

A Lot Has Happened & Something New!

 Hi Everyone!

It is amazing what all has happened in the last year! Not just Covid19, but all the crocheting I was able to do, my move into my own space again, finding a job after over 10 years (and one that I love), only to loose the job again nearly 3 months later due to lack of work. It seems to have come full circle.

Now I do have a little more time again to finish off some projects I had started last year. One of these projects was something I had never done before and wanted to try out. A jacket made out of Granny Squares. The funny thing about this project is that I had intended to gift it to my daughter here, for Christmas. I had asked her what colours she liked to normally wear. She said neutral earthy colours. So I went through my yarn stash and then went out to get a few more colours to add to what I already had.

In the following photo are the colours I put together for her. I made all the squares I needed following the diagram I had drawn out and started putting them together.

It turns out that when I asked her to try it on, she seemed disappointed. So I asked if there was anything wrong. It turned out that she had seen me crocheting other squares and was hoping it was for her. You see I had decided to make all my girls a Granny Square jacket in the colours they liked. I had also been working on a smaller square that had a yellow centered white daisy with green for leaves, and a royal blue. Now these colours are much brighter than what she had told me. So, I said I would make her one like it too. That left me, however, with what I had been working on. But for who? I put it aside. 

Now that I am not working I decided to pull it out and finish it. But again, for whom? My sister likes these kinds of colours, but I was sure it would be a little too small for her, and I was past the point of being able to add squares to it. Then I though of my new friend from work. We started on the same day and became instant friends even though she is younger than my oldest daughter that I had started this project for.

I pulled it out, hung it on a hanger, and decided I would finish it for her. I think the colours would be good for her too.

 I still had to finish the edging, add the green all around, make belt loops, add a collar, and the cuffs.

Last week Jaymie came over to help me put together my new microwave unit. It took a lot longer than we thought it would, and I was sure grateful for her help. When we were done, I gave it to her. She was thrilled. Because of the lateness of time, and the not so great weather, we did not take photos of her wearing it. But, today we did.

 I think she looks great in it! Next she shows you the back.

You can see below how I made the underarm of the sleeves allowing for more freedom of movement.

 Next is our favorite photo of the shoot. It turned out well.

I'm now thinking maybe I would like a Granny Square jacket too!

Anyway, I have too many other projects on the go and need to finish them. Hope to have another project to share with you in a a couple of weeks.

In the meantime hope you are enjoying your creativity even if not in crocheting or knitting.


Happy Crocheting!





1 comment: