Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Birthday Gift to Daughter - Large Harlequin Stitch Blanket


Hello Everyone!

Today I am sharing with you a big project that I have been working on and off since the end of March. It took about 10 weeks to complete (that's counting the days that I actually worked on it). I have made several other projects in between working on this one for my eldest daughter's birthday on the 22nd of this month.

And the project is a blanket! (larger than an afghan) How in the world does one photograph such a large project! The blanket measures 61" wide, and 82" long. Here are the photos.

Here the blanket is all folded up on the table.


I fell in love with this stitch when I saw it on Daisy Farm Crafts. This is definitely larger than a baby blanket however.


Being such a large project I did not block it. I do like how the border turned out.

1 row of SC all around the blanket with 3 SC in each corner, Then 5 rows of HDC with 3 in each corner. I completed the border with the contrasting yarn colour with a slip stitch around the first SC round, and a RSC around the edge.

Next you see the blanket folded in four.


Here the blanket is only folded in half and is almost long enough to be a table cloth (LOL).


Next you see the entire blanket on the floor. What do you think of the striped pattern I came up with?


Here you can see the Harlequin stitch pattern...


When taking the above photos, and seeing how large it was, I decided to see what it would look like on my daughter's queen size bed. I had thought it could be folded to rest at the foot of the bed and pulled up during the night if needed. However, when I put it on the bed and saw how much of the bed it covered, I was surprised.


The yarn used for this blanket, is again from the yarn I inherited from my Mom, and is 25% wool. So definitely a warm and heavy blanket. No wonder I was always getting much to warm while making it!

Happy crocheting everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment