Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Scarf & Toque Set Plus More

Welcome!

Today I am sharing with you a scarf & toque set (hat or beanie for the US). This is one of those that will be donated for the needy in the area here.

However, this scarf is inspired by a Daisy Farm Crafts pattern and made just a tiny bit wider, and the rows are width ways, rather than the length of the scarf. The toque (or hat) is my own creation using the same stitch pattern.

The day I took these photos it was cloudy and I could not get the right lighting for these photos. The colour of the yarn is a burnt orange, not red. It is a yarn that my sister gave to me and informed me that it was form our grandmother. She passed away in 2006 at 92. Anyway, she had this project she was working on and had never completed. So there was the incomplete afghan, and several balls of yarn that went with it. I unraveled all of the afghan and ended up with four colours of yarn with enough to make more than one scarf an toque from each colour! The light green and yellow colours you have already seen in some of the baby blankets I made - the first one, I did not get photos of, but the second one, and last one have been posted.

The stitches used for this set are the HD Herringbone stitch, and the Berry stitch. What I like about this combination is that it looks the same on both sides because the Berry stitch is done in two rows, so that each side gets a row of Berry stitches.

Here is the set.


Now let's talk toque (hat). You will not that it was not crocheted in the round, but as a flat piece. The reason I did that is so that I could use my preferred ribbing. You will also see that I have ribbing at the bottom, which is traditional, but that I also have a narrow band of ribbing at the top. That is to help gather the top without as much bulk if the crochet stitch pattern were just continued to the end.


Closer look at the narrow top band of ribbing.

Closer look at the bottom band of ribbing.


The ribbing is created using a SC in the back loop. (You can do this with a slip stitch, a SC, a HDC, or DC). Then you sew up the side seam, and then gather the top together.

This one is a slouch toque, so it hangs down a bit at the back when wearing it.



On to the scarf.

I made this just a bit wider so that a person could wrap it around their head with good coverage, should the need arise.


It can be folded in half lengthways to wrap around the neck as you see below.


You can see the rows of Half Double Herringbone and Puff stitches.




And lastly, the mittens. These are not a Daisy Farm Crafts pattern, but one I picked up from somewhere online, and can't find again to share with you. Sorry. They are vary easy to whip up and the pattern has all sizes from infants up to large adult hands.


The ribbing is SC in the back loop, and the body of the mitten is in Half Double crochet.


After completing this set I still had a fait bit of this colour of yarn left. I know there wouldn't be enough to crochet a scarf, but I could probably get a toque and mittens from it. I was right! Here they are.


I think why I like creating things to donate it that I can try out all these different stitches or stitch combinations. Like this toque for instance. The first time I tried the Wheat Stitch, and it is so much easier than I thought it would be to do it!


I think I will try this pattern again!


Well, that's it if this batch of yarn, and I hope you have been inspire to try out some new stitches, and to make some things for those in need in your area.

Happy crocheting!






No comments:

Post a Comment