Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Basket Weave Scarf, Sherpa Hat & Mittens

I have always felt that the design of a Sherpa hat, was a good one for the cold weather. I could never find a pattern that I really liked, so I thought to myself, "you should have enough experience under you belt to just try making one". So I did. I used my 14 year old grandson's head, who is taller than I am, for sizing.

But let's begin by looking at the whole set that I made. This beautiful green coloured yarn came from my grandmothers blanket I told you about in previous posts. There were also some unused balls of the same yarn, so that allowed me to make a really nice long scarf, nearly 5 1/2 feet long.


 Do you like the colours as much as I do?

Let's look at the Sherpa hat first.


I love using the Half Double Crochet stitch over the Single Crochet as it fills spaces that the Single Crochet leaves. It looks nicer too, and depending on where you insert your hook, you can give it a different look.

Now, for the scarf.

I did not keep with the Half Double crochet, but opted for the Basket Weave which comprises of a series of Double Crochet Front and Back Posts. I did this because it gives the scarf a nice thickness that I think would be great to have in being outside in the winter for a homeless person. I added the same colours at each end to match the hat.




And here are the mittens, also done in Half Double Crochet with Ribbing at the wrist.


So that's it for this set. This one is hard to give away because I like it so much. But what would I do with it? I don't need it as I have my own that match my coats.

Thank you for joining me today and sharing in my enjoyment of crocheting.





No comments:

Post a Comment